Introduction to the concept of marine protected areas (MPA's), usefulness and types of MPA's, criteria for selection, legal framework, stakeholder involvement, baseline studies, design and management plans, zoning techniques, implementation success, Ocean conservation and marine protected areas, from local to global: networks of MPA's, ethical aspects of the management of marine ecosystems, case studies.
1. What are marine protected areas (MPA’s)?
a. Brief history of ocean management and conservation
b. Types and definitions of MPA’s
2. Why do we need marine protected areas?
a. Threats to marine biodiversity
b. Ecology of marine ecosystems and implications for conservation
3. Selection of marine protected areas
a. Guiding principles and criteria for the selection of MPA’s
b. Management plans for MPA’s
c. Case studies – visit to the Arrábida Marine Park
4. Networks of marine protected areas
5. Legal framework in Portugal, Europe and worldwide
6. Monitoring procedures and long-term objectives
7. Marine spatial planning and the role of marine protected areas
8. Marine education and ethical issues in the use of the ocean
9. Future prospects for ocean conservation and sustainable development
Basic knowledge of marine ecology and conservation biology
Understanding concepts of integrated ocean governance, marine spatial planning, sustainability, resource management principles, marine conservation, functioning of marine ecosystems